Thursday, July 10, 2008

Lessons from Sally on Stillness


Why is it so hard to be still? I am on my sabbatical and I have a list of to-do's popping up in my head. The worst part is that I am 700 miles away from my office. What is my problem? I tried singing worship songs...but that is not being still. I started to read some Scriptures out loud...but that is not being still. Oh Lord, help me...I want to be still!

The Lord sent Sally. Well, that's the name I gave her. Sally is a salamander...I think. You see, Sally greeted me when I first came to this scenic overlook spot. I took over her rock and she scampered away. Not a good way to start a friendship. As I sat on Sally's rock; I could hear the birds singing, I heard the sounds of insects and I heard the lull roar of the river below. The scenery was magnificent. I was staring straight over a huge river gorge and there was a huge sheer cliff on the other side. But stillness, my one and only goal today, was not coming to me. My heart cried out to God and He sent Sally back out.

I really don't know where she came from. One minute there was just a rock and the next...there was Sally. She was a picture of stillness. She would only move her eyes and sometimes she turned her neck. I decided there was much I could learn from Sally. She was sent out to teach me...so I was all ears and eyes.

She didn't move, so I didn't move. She didn't make a sound, so I didn't make a sound. The stillness soon rushed over me. How beautiful it was. A smile came to my face. I was hearing sounds that I was not hearing earlier. I was seeing things I did not see at first. Thank you Sally. Thank you Lord for hearing my cry.

She moved! Yes...I won! Then I noticed that my lesson from the Lord was not over yet. Sally was hunting food. Stillness was her way of surviving. Stillness and patience was her recipe for survival. We live in a society that is exactly the opposite. Busyness and restlessness is the American way of reaching the American dream. But, it doesn't seem like much of a dream. The Lord is calling out to us! His command...Be Still! You want to survive life? Then you need to learn stillness. God is in the stillness and He is waiting for us to find Him there.

I found You! You were there all along!

"Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted on the earth." - Psalm 46:10


*** Elijah found the Lord in the stillness as well. Check out 1 Kings 19:10-12.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Paul,
I read this entry on stillness just now from the church e-mail newsletter... and I just wanted to share some lyrics. God has really been whispering peace to my heart and telling me to be still the last two nights, and He used this song.


"Peace Be Still" by Rush of Fools

Come to Me, you who are weak
Let My strength be yours tonight
Come and rest, let My love be your bed
Let My heart be yours tonight

Peace be still, Peace be still
Please be still and know that I am God
and know that I am God

Come empty cup, let Me fill you up
I'll descend on you like a dove tonight
Lift your head, let your eyes fall into Mine
Let your fear subside tonight

Peace be still, Peace be still
Please be still and know that I am God
and know that I am God

Hallelujah, Hallelujah!
Hallelujah, Hallelujah!

Anonymous said...

Enjoying your blog! I needed to hear your Lessons from Sally on Stillness. I think it is one of the hardest things to do. Today I am leaving TO DO lists everywhere as we count down 2 weeks till we leave for France. Time to be still and ask God to help with priorities. Thanks Pastor Paul

P.S. loved your car traveling account
:--)