Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Joys of Travelling

Well...if you have ever travelled with children, you will understand what I am about to talk about. It can be such "bliss" when you are travelling with young children. Our goal was to leave by 3 p.m. We left Grove City at 7 p.m. I tried my best to keep a positive attitude and a smile on my face. After all, we only had about 700 miles ahead of us. There were so many memorable moments.

The best moment was when Autumn was screaming and she decided that nothing was going to console her. She was in the seat directly behind my driver seat. (How exciting.) At the same time, Josiah was acting like a monkey and yelling at the top of his lungs. Lets not forget the two older more "mature" kids in the back seat. They decided that they did not want to be outdone by the screaming so they chose to have a knock down fight over what DVD to watch. I looked over at Amanda and noticed that she was feeling car sick. So I decided to do what any good father and husband would do in a situation like this, I cranked up Toby Mac and prayed that ear plugs would fall from heaven. :)

The joys of travelling. I wonder what our Father in Heaven feels like sometimes. Screaming baby-like Christians. Bickering in the back pew of the church. Fighting among believers. God's children acting like monkey's. Does God crank up the music in Heaven? Does He roll His eyes and ask the angels to please sing louder. Does He have a giant mute button? I am consoled by the beginning of Romans 15:5 in the NKJV: "Now may the God of patience...". He is a God of many things, but I am so glad that He is a God of patience. It takes much patience to put up with me.

Let's not forget this verse: "I waited patiently for the LORD; And He inclined to me, And heard my cry." - Psalm 40:1. I am so excited to be waiting on the Lord right now. I know that He will hear my cry. I am so looking forward to this first week of my sabbatical. It is going to be a week dedicated to stillness and silence. I have my sights set on some scenic trails in the national forests of Northern Georgia. A time to "walk" with the Lord. Tomorrow will not come soon enough!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

I hope that tomorrow came soon enough....

"Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Committ your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him."